First Annual General Meeting (AGM)
30th April 2015 7pm – 9pm
North Road, Brighton,
East Sussex, BN1 1YD
The support group has been running for over 3 years and has been very successful in helping a lot of people. For example, it has helped a number of people get access to services and now has over 150 ADHD members! We had wanted for a long time to formalise the group and become constituted so we could apply for funding and provide a greater level of support, however this has not been easy due to the nature of ADHD.
Recently, a local charity, The Trust for Developing Communities, has been helping us to take the support group to this next level. The result of this work has been that some of us have got together to form a new group. We have called ourselves ‘ADHD Aware’ and are currently made up of 5 support group members, including Jack who has been involved with the support group since the beginning. The idea of ADHD Aware! is that it is an umbrella organisation that can apply for funds for the support group and will also be able to support other organisations and ADHD projects.
Some of our future plans include…
- To run the monthly drop-in Brighton Support Group meetings and apply for funding to build a stronger local group.
- Set up ADHD Aware website that builds on the experience of 3 years of support group meetings. This will include information and resources for diagnosis, access to services, benefits, discrimination, access to work, and referral organisations.
- Set up local telephone & email support line with trained volunteers.
- Run ADHD community events and talks.
- Set up a user led participation group that empowers members and feeds ideas to the ADHD Aware management committee.
- And more!
In order for any of this to happen we need to become constituted, and this means the group needs to hold a public meeting to adopt the constitution and vote in a new committee. As part of the public meeting we will also be asking the members of the Brighton ADHD Support Group if they would like to merge with ADHD Aware, which is viewed as the best way we can build on and strengthen the success of the support group.
Please come along and vote on this merger at this public meeting. You can also vote for things to do with ADHD Aware like the new committee, if you join us as a member and complete a membership form at this meeting. This meeting will be an opportunity for you to have your voice heard and we would love to hear your ideas for how ADHD Aware can support people with ADHD.
For more information about ADHD Aware, you can download a copy of the constitution here. If you would like to get involved with ADHD Aware, or have any questions feel free to contact Jack at firstname.lastname@example.org.